Facebook

Follow Ones 2 Watch on Facebook by clicking here



Sunday, August 15, 2010

VIC Designer - Joseph Jang

Joseph Jang is an aspiring fashion designer, residing in Melbourne, who hopes to "become an artistic director in a French Haute Couture house" however his "ultimate dream would be to establish a luxury brand and change the way people view fashion like Coco Chanel did".

Check out the Ones 2 Watch interview with Joseph alongside some of his amazing images!


Photographer : Michael Green
Hair & Make Up : Tessa Purcell
Model : Imogen Rolfe
Designs : Joseph Jang
Copyright : Michael Green

When did you first decide to get into fashion design?

I started appreciating fashion when I was in year 9 after seeing British designer John Galliano's amazing collections, but I think my love for fashion started at a very young age. I saw Disney's 'The little mermaid' when I was about 4 and I fell in love with the dresses and princesses and started designing dresses for all the Disney princesses. My mother was also a big influence. She is very fashionable woman with passion for beautiful and unique designs. One day when I was in pre-school, my teacher told me that if I wanted to become an artist, I needed to be able to draw landscapes as well, which I hated. When I went home, I asked my mother what I should become when I grow up because I didn't want to draw landscapes and she said, 'how about a fashion designer?'.

When designing your clothing do you try to follow common trends that are current in the industry or do you try to generate your own?

For me trend is common aspects in many different designers collection that Magazines, media and general public agree on after seeing the collections, not something that any designers should think about before they create their collection. Many fashion students do not realise this and become slaves to the trends. Because the fashion industry is evolving at a exponential rate, by the time a designer finishes his/her collection according to a trend, the chances are that the trend is already outdated and it is usually impossible to voluntarily predict future trend. We should always be aware of the flow but never a trend and that's how I approach designing. I stay true to my inspiration and do what I do and few months later, I can usually see that other designers also used a lot of floral print, leather or whatever. I seem to have my own vocabulary when it comes to my aesthetic.


Photographer : SdeVarax
Hair & Make Up : Anke Hansen
Model : Rebecca G @ Scene, Kat
Assistant : Vlad
Designs : Joseph Jang
Copyright : SdeVarax

What inspires you when designing a new collection?

It's hard to pinpoint where my inspirations comes from because they come from a lot of different things and it is usually combination of many different influences, it could be a song, movie, theatre production, history and just about anything. So I try my best to be always open to anything and everything our wonderful culture and the world has to offer. I soak everything up like a sponge and than it gets all mixed up in my sub-conscience and suddenly, voila! there is a design on my paper.

Who would you most love to dress and why?

I would absolutely love to dress Joan of Arc, Elizabeth I, Marie Antoinette, Mata Hari because they were the women who redefined not only the fashion but the image of women. They were revolutionaries in many aspects and that attracts me. More realistically, I would love to dress Angelina Jolie, Cate Blanchett and Anne Hathaway. Not only are they beautiful outside, they also have great passion, love, and repect for their arts which is backed up by their amazing talent and they seem to not forget their place in the world.


Hair & Make Up : Anke Hansen
Model : Rebecca G @ Scene, Kat
Assistant : Vlad
Designs : Joseph Jang
Copyright : SdeVarax

What words of advice would you give to people wanting to get into fashion design?

I would say that you really need to know why you want to be a fashion designer. There are surprisingly large number of people who wants to become a fashion designer and expect fashion to be this glamorous world with fame, celebrity and money. There are aspects of all that in fashion but that should never be the reason. You really need to love fashion. You have to be able to say that I would be happy sewing for 18 hours a day in the garage of my parents' house with only baked beans to eat for weeks as I would be living in a multi-million dollar Beverly Hills mansion designing for celebrity clients in a state-of-the-art, high tech studio. Love fashion for what it is, don't feel insecure because some might think of it just as dress making or don't become an elitist because some consider fashion as an art. Fashion is fashion, nothing more, nothing less.

Also Fashion is one of those excitingly unpredictable industry where there is no written rule to success so I hope no one feels that they need to draw in a certain way, design in a certain way and be in a certain way.

Check out Joseph Jang's blog at http://seph-hippiasmajor.blogspot.com/


Photographer : Josie Lee
Hair & Make Up : Jess K
Model : Lauren Aiken @ FRM
Assistant : Brett Walton
Designs : Joseph Jang
Copyright : Josie Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment